LPC_August 3, 2014 MINUTES Board

_____________________________________________________________________________________Board Members present: FRANCES ANDERSON, BILL LOSASSO, ROSS MARTIN, PEDRO DIEZ, MARGA SNYDER
Other Members present: Derrick Alford, Maddalena Poletta, Dante Diez

MEETING BEGAN: 3:22 pm

Executive Director Report

Tree removal – Bill LoSasso met with Nancy Kohn of Green Thumb. – Nancy impressed with how big LAP is – we are truly a park.  She will try to get GT help out as much as they can.  Linden tree removal is a work order, she will try to expedite so we are not battling rat problem.

137 Avenue C /Corrigan Real Estate– They are in a design/engineering snafu.  Construction/Demolition will be stopped for next few weeks.  Ross suggests we take this time to move trees we want to keep so we can clear 10 ft from bldg white wall.  We have live electricity as of now, but has been sporadic.  Bill still in discussions re: final form of electricity.  Nancy (GT) will give final ok on permits that they (Corrigan RE) need so GT lawyers can be our backup on agreements with 137 Ave C/Corrigan.

Verizon – FIOS wire along fence.  Rep from Verizon & Bill been playing phone tag.  Still discussing compensation and possible provision of WiFi for garden.   Update – looks like this will not happen because NYC Parks will not grant the easement provision that Verizon is seeking in return for fee/use of fence.

Billboard Art – Request For Proposals for artists work on the Billboard.  Push to February 2015 so we can take the time to review proposals and provide adequate compensation.

Garden Signs – new signs for various rules for entrance to garden (Pedro will draft up sample: e.g. “dogs on leash”, “no smoking”- (which actually has to be garden rule, as it’s not actually a city law anymore). BOARD APPROVED.

Treasurer Report – Michael Hinds will file

Committee Reports

Compost  -
-Request from LES Ecology Ctr for another larger workshop for the fall.  Topic: Winter crops – they would need a plot to plant in.  Maybe use a plot on the hill or Hugel bed?  BOARD APPROVED – Rita & Ross will advise which community plot is best suited. 
-Still have some money left from grant – Pedro wants to build another 3 bin system for weed/yard waste intake. Possible location against 9
th Street fence next to willow near Gazebo.  Timeline: to do in September 2014.  Tentative budget: $800 ($400 offset by leftover from grant, $400 pledged from garden, if costs exceed $800 we address).  BOARD APPROVED.

Landscape   

Arbor – Final roof meeting & installation happening soon.  Deadline Harvest Fest (Sept 19, 2014)

Hugel bed huge success. Would love to expand it with a swale/ramp for drainage near 9th St gate.  Maybe include willow stump? (see next item),  Also continue along 9th street fence to snake around bamboo patch.

Willow near 9th St. gate – remove/bury stump?  Keep? Replace with another tree?  Board will consider options.  Currently, it is becoming a rat nest and there may be problems down the road if the Willow grows back to its original height because willows are inherently unstable and will likely fall in another storm.

Nature trail: $2K still left from grant – next purchases: another load of soil for hugel bed, load of gravel for path, stepping stones, signs for plants.  Will submit budget for those purchases soon.

Trees: spent less than $1K of grant so far.  $5K left to purchase Espalier trees. Moving some bushes from meadow area to area in front of bamboo.

Ornamental Pear tree next to willow on 9th Street/C area – should we remove it?  Let stay?  It was a volunteer from the other two ornamental pears that were planted a few years ago near there.  It’s crowded, but not creating a crisis.

Clean up of Maintenance Yard: Labeling of tool rack.  Propose to buy strong boxes for toys, tools, and utility items.  Need to clean up extraneous art supply, scaffolding, plastic chairs which belong behind greenhouse.  (See Maintenance committee in New Business)

Idea for bench extension and tables where white benches are.

Membership    

Still seeking person to take on Committee.

Final reminders to folks who have not yet paid their dues.  Change locks in the fall.  (Sept/Oct).

Plots    - Rita got it done.  Keep it up.

Events      -  No new news.  Board will take up revising rates this fall.

Parents   - Felicia kids camp. Authorized $25/week on healthy snacks and beverages.  Suggestions that Felicia partners with daycare or other local program for kids.  (Bill/Frances talk with Felicia re: this possibility).

Website – Peter gave wordpress passwords to Committee heads so they can post updates

Event Pricing and Procedure – Board will take up in Fall 2014

Events/Installations at LPC

Bat House  - Helen Avery has raised money for it from yoga class donations, will have someone from Central park give a talk at construction/installation of bat house.

Harvest Fest – FRIDAY POINT PERSON: Rita will help getting food and drink donations for Friday Sept 19th kickoff.

SATURDAY POINT PERSON: Still needed!  Some programming already ready: Upright Citizens Brigade
SUNDAY POINT PERSON: Marga Snyder. Vandana Shiva talking at the Garden on Sunday morning (Charles from LUNGS set this up)

Community Day 2014 – Bill will email board this week re: date for community work day & BBQ  probably late august/early September

Concert  - next Sunday August 10th – City of the Sun musicians (from Sunburnt Cow) Canceled.

Old Business  - Done!

New business  - Board approved Beginning of Maintenance Committee.  Headed by Derrick Alford.

MEETING ADJOURNED:  approx. 5:00 pm

Leave a Reply